Starting Rate: $10 per hour
Position Summary: The animal care department provides necessary infrastructure for ARF’s rescue and adoption efforts. The animal care specialist role is to provide the daily care of ARF’s animals to insure humane housing. Primary responsibilities include but are not limited to, feeding, cleaning, medicating of the shelter guests while following all proper handling protocols.
- Use your animal handling skills to provide daily care, exercise, feeding and cleaning for dog and cat shelter guests. Learn and use training techniques to make our animals the best possible family members in their new homes.
- Provide care for ARF’s shelter animals.
- Daily feedings of all shelter animals.
- Observe shelter animals for any unusual symptom that may be indicative of a medical or behavioral problem and report to the animal care manager.
- Clean and maintain all animal living areas, kitchens, bedding, cat furniture and all animal/shelter equipment.
- Always promote a humane and caring attitude toward all animals.
- Maintain the confidentiality of all information.
- Follow established procedures governing safe work practices; to perform duties in a manner which assures the safety of oneself and others.
- Perform duties in a manner which encourages contributions and business for ARF.
- Always treat people and animals with respect, contribute to effective teamwork, promote staff cooperation, and foster public relations beneficial to ARF.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- Allergic conditions that would be aggravated when animals are present in the work place are a disqualification.
- Lift and move objects and animals weighing up to 50 pounds for short distances and to humanely restrain animals when necessary.
- Bend, stoop, squat, reach and push moderately heavy objects.
- Effectively read and write and express information verbally. Ability to comprehend and follow written and/or verbal instructions.
- Communicate with the public, volunteers and co-workers in a pleasant, courteous and tactful manner at all times
Experience, Abilities and Qualities Required:
- Prior experience working with shelter dogs and cats preferred.
- Handle multiple tasks and work well under pressure.
- Prefer that individual has and maintains a valid California driver's license with a good driving record.
- Maturity, good judgment and professional personal appearance.
- Be comfortable and skilled in working with a culturally diverse staff, volunteers and community.
- Affection for animals, concern for their welfare and a willingness to accommodate animals in the workplace.
Immediate Supervisor: Animal Care Supervisor
Hours: Two 24 hours/week positions. Daily reporting hours
and days of the week may vary according to the needs of the Division. Opening shifts begin at 7 a.m. Closing shifts end at 7 p.m.
Some weekend work will be required. Attendance must be a 95% minimum of scheduled shifts. This does not include planned vacations.
To apply: An employment
application is available for download. To apply for this job, please
send your cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org or fax to 925.977.9079 or mail to "ARF Jobs, P.O. Box 30215, Walnut
Creek, CA 94598".
Back To Top
Back to Job Opportunities
Back To About ARF
Back To Home